Pachadi is an important side dish of Kerala Sadhyas (vegetarian feast). There are different varieties of pachadies like the common Vellarika (cucumber) pachadi or pineapple or beetroot. Cucumber pachadi recipe is explained below, by replacing cucumber with pineapple or beetroot the respective pachadies can be prepared.
- Cucumber – 100 gm (chopped as small cubes)
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Cumin Seed/Powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Onion (Savala) – 1 chopped similar to size of cucumber pieces
- Ginger – a small piece, chopped
- Green Chilli – 4 chopped similar to size of cucumber pieces
- Coconut Oil – 2 table spoon
- Curd (Yogurt) – 1 cup
- Curry Leaf – 1 sprig
- Salt – as required
Heat the coconut oil and splutter the mustard seeds in it, then add and saute chopped onion, curry leaves, ginger, green chilli. Once the onion becomes transparent add cucumber pieces and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Meanwhile, grind the grated coconut, cumin powder along with little water in a mixer or blender to a fine paste. Add this coconut gravy to the pan, add salt and continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cucumber is properly cooked. (Take care that it does not get dry). Switch of the flame and then add yogurt. Add more salt, if required.
Posted by Easy and Fresh
Call for Easy 'n' Fresh grated coconuts.